Staff training starts later this week, and many of our counselors this year have never worked at a summer camp before! While we have lots of returning counselors, as well, we’re so excited to welcome a group of brand new faces to camp. We know this summer is going to be fantastic, and we can’t wait to get everyone together at staff training!
If this will be your first summer working as a counselor, keep reading for five helpful tips for a great summer at Camp Fletcher!
- Have the right mindset: If you come into camp with a positive mindset and a flexible attitude, you will get so much more out of it! Our campers look to you to set the tone for each day: they get excited about camp when you are excited about camp. A little energy goes a long way in making sure campers are happy and having fun!
- Be in the moment: Cell phones and other screens are a no-go at camp because we think unplugging is vital to a successful learning environment. Our counselors need to be focused at all times for the safety of our campers, and being present in every moment insures that our campers are always safe. Plus, they will follow your lead – if you’re engaged and interested in an activity, they will be, too!
- Pay attention when you pack: You don’t want to under or over pack for a week of camp. Staff training is a great time to learn what you’ll need each week, so pay attention to what returning counselors bring. Make sure you have a great pair of tennis shoes – you’ll wear them every day!
- Learn constantly: Our returning counselors have a lot of helpful experience under their belt, so working with them will teach you a lot. It’s also important to have a teachable attitude and to ask questions. You’ll learn a lot from a summer working at Camp Fletcher if you make the effort!
- This is the toughest job you will ever love: Our counselors work hard, but they gain so much from their time here. We know you will learn and grow, and that a summer at Camp Fletcher can change you. There’s a reason so many counselors return each summer – it’s an experience you will never forget!